- VABANC 2014 SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONS DUE JULY 31, 2014: Through its annual scholarship, VABANC recognizes law students who have demonstrated a commitment to serving the needs of the Vietnamese-American or Vietnamese community. Open to all currently enrolled law students, the scholarship is intended to provide assistance to students towards their public interest or social justice goals. Priority will be given to those who have demonstrated a commitment to serving the Vietnamese-American or Vietnamese community in Northern California, and to those who will be using the scholarship award towards public interest or social justice work, either by pursuing post-graduate work or for a summer position. Scholarship applications are due by Thursday, July 31, 2014, at 11:59pm. For more information about the scholarship and for the application, please click here.
- SAVE THE DATE Please save the date for VABANC’s 16th Annual Scholarship Dinner on Friday, October 3, 2014, at the San Jose City Hall Rotunda. For more information, click here.
- MEMBERSHIP RENEWALS ARE DUE Memebership renewals are due. It's that time of year again! The 2014-2015 membership period begins on April 15. If you have not yet renewed your membership for the year, we're here to help. (If you recently joined VABANC and paid for membership earlier this year already, you don’t need to do anything further. That covers you for April 2014-April 2015 so you’re ahead of the game!
We are proud of our dedicated attorneys and law students who have joined forces to organize pro bono legal clinics serving underresourced communities.
Clinics sponsored by VABANC and the Alameda County Bar Association Volunteer Legal Services Corporation (VLSC) are held on the 2nd Tuesday of each month from 5:30pm to 7pm at the Oakland Library's Asian Branch in Oakland Chinatown at 388 9th Street, # 190. Please click here to see the English flyer.
Our collaboration with Katharine & George Alexander Community Law Center (KGACLC) enables us to provide pro bono legal clinics in San Jose, CA. These clinics are held on the 2nd Thursday of each month from 6pm to 8pm at the KGACLC at 1030 The Alameda in San Jose. English Flyer. Vietnamese Flyer.
Please assist us in publicizing these clinics by forwarding the above flyers to your contacts.
Interested lawyers, law students, and interpreters are invited to join us in providing these free legal services. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer your time or make a contribution. Those seeking assistance may call (408) 512-3818 to schedule an appointment.
Call for Scholarships and Award Program Applications or Nominations
- By Monday, June 23, 2014 at 5pm EDT - 2014 NAPABA Daniel K. Inouye Trailblazers Award, Best Lawyers Under 40 Award, and Women’s Leadership Award Nominations
NAPABA is calling for Daniel K. Inouye Trailblazers Award, Best Lawyers Under 40 Award, and Women’s Leadership Award Nominations. This Award recognizes the outstanding achievements, commitment, and leadership of lawyers who have paved the way for the advancement of other Asian Pacific American attorneys. Trailblazers have had careers and otherwise made contributions that demonstrate vision, courage and tenacity, and which have resulted in substantial and lasting contributions to the Asian Pacific American legal profession, as well as the broader Asian Pacific American community.
The NAPABA Best Lawyers Under 40 Award recognizes talented individuals within the Asian Pacific American legal community under the age of 40 who have achieved prominence and distinction in their fields of endeavor—be it the practice of law, academia, business, civic and charitable affairs, the judiciary, or politics—and have demonstrated a strong commitment to civic or community affairs.
Finally, the NAPABA Women’s Leadership Award celebrates the accomplishments of women lawyers. It is presented to an individual who has achieved professional excellence in her field or who has demonstrated leadership of women or women’s issues. This person will also have made significant contributions to the Asian Pacific American legal community. The award winner is honored at the Women’s Leadership Breakfast at the annual NAPABA Convention.
- By Monday, July 7, 2014 NAPABA Affiliate of the Year Award, APA-Owned Law Firm Award, and Law Firm Diversity Award Nominations
NAPABA is calling for Affiliate of the Year Award, APA-Owned Law Firm Award, and Law Firm Diversity Award Nominations. This Award was established to recognize outstanding NAPABA affiliates for their best practices and accomplishments in their respective local communities. Only current 2013-2014 NAPABA affiliates are eligible for this Award.
NAPABA has created the first ever APA-Owned Law Firm Award of the Year to recognize our membership's law firms—solo, small, and large—that have achieved prominence and distinction, and have demonstrated a strong commitment to the Asian Pacific American (APA) community. The Award celebrates law practices that embrace the APA community while maintaining the highest ethical and legal standards in our profession. The Award also recognizes firms that have advanced the goals and ideals of NAPABA and APA legal advocacy groups.
Finally, the NAPABA Law Firm Diversity Award honors law firms that actively, affirmatively, consistently, and enthusiastically recruit, retain, and promote APA lawyers to equity partnership and firm leadership. It celebrates law firm successes in recognizing the potential, supporting the promise, and raising the influence of APA lawyers.
All award recipients will be honored at the 26th Annual NAPABA Convention in Scottsdale, AZ, on November 6-9, 2014.